Make your artwork look like they're from an alternate universe. These Cyberpunk presets work with Photoshop (via the Camera Raw filter) and Lightroom. Download all 788 presets for 90% off.
Create this Fantasy depicting scene of heaven and hell. This tutorial covers topics like creating reflections in moving water, ice cube with frost on it, turning daytime photos into nighttime, and many more.
Preview of Final Results
Heaven & Hell Photoshop Tutorial
- Landscape - forsakewolf
- Women - Taversia
- Smoke PSD - Tezrin
- Smoke Brushes - neveryph-stock
- Night Sky - Hatestock
- Lanterns - Wammyp
- Wooden House - Gebo-Stock
- Canvas Texture - Knald
- Frost Brush - Redheadstock
- Fire - Thesuper
- Smoke Brush - Falln-Stock
- Grunge Texture - amptone-Stock
- Dead Tree - castock
- Frame - sxc.hu
Create a new canvas in Photoshop with the dimensions Width=1506px, Height=2256px.
Now import the image of the Landscape onto the canvas. Also observe the behavior of the reflection in water as it will help us create natural looking reflection in the coming steps.
1) Mask out the image of the Women using the Pen Tool (P).
2) Import the image of the women onto the working canvas and place her on the water surface as shown to illustrate that she is standing on the water surface.
In this step we will be creating a reflection of the women on the water surface.
- Duplicate the image of the women and flip it Vertically and move it downwards as shown.
2) With the Reflection layer selected go to Filters>Liquify and set the Tool Options to Brush Size=16, Brush Density=38, Brush Pressure=100 and leave the rest as default. Then scribble on the image randomly using the Forward Warp Tool (W) to get the disturbance that we usually find in the reflection on water.
In this step we are going to create smoke at the bottom of the women which is represented as a portal through which the women has come from.
- Since the density of smoke is lighter than water it float on the surface of water, hence using the smoke brush paint white smoke floating on the water as shown using the Smoke Brushes.
2) Now by using the smoke images create a dense Smoke as shown near the feet.
- Now by using the Lasso Tool (L) roughly cut the background landscape leaving the trees on the right.
2) Now create an Exposure Adjustment layer to the background layer and set the Exposure=-0.31, Offset=-0078, Gamma Correction=0.94.
Since we are creating a night scene, we are going to make the BG (Back Ground) dark in this step.
-Create a new layer above the BG layer and paint the dark shade as shown using the Soft Round Brush. Then set the Opacity of the layer to 63%.
- Similarly paint the dark shade on the grass and set the Opacity of the layer to 52%.
In this step we are going to color correct the women to fit with the environment we are creating.
-With the women layer selected go to Image>Adjustments>Curves and set the RGB curves as shown.
In this step we will be creating the night sky with a full moon and also be creating itâ€™s reflection in water.
- Import the image of the Night Sky on to the canvas and place it behind the BG layer.
2) Now duplicate the sky layer and flip it vertically and move it downwards and place it as shown. Then name the layer as Sky Reflection.
3) With the Sky Reflection layer selected open the Liquify Filter and set the Brush Size=16, Brush Density=38 and follow the same procedure as we did in the step4.
4) Now set the Opacity of the Sky Reflection layer to 75%.
In this step we are going to create a wooden house in the background.
- Cut the image of the Wooden House into a new layer using the Pen Tool (P).
2) Now import the house image on to the working canvas and place it on the left side as shown.
3) Since the house is bright we need to reduce the exposure of the house image using the Exposure.
-With the house layer selected go to Image>Adjustments>Exposure and set the Gamma Correction=0.72.
In this step we are going to paint some dark shadows on the wooden house. While painting the dark shade we must consider the light properties and the direction.
-Using the soft round brush with the black color selected paint the dark shade as shown in a separate layer. Make sure that the bottom part of the house is completely dark.
As we know that the colors appear de-saturated in the dark, we need to create the same effect here.
-Now create a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer above all the layers and set the Saturation Level=-64 and Lightness=-5.
In this step we are going to add a texture to the scene and color correct the scene to get the perfect night effect.
- Import the image of the Texture onto the canvas and set the Blending Mode of the layer to Multiply and reduce the Opacity to 76%.
2) Now create a Curves Adjustment layer above all the layers and set the RGB curves as shown.
In this step we are going to create an Ice Cube floating in air. This ice cube represents the Heaven in this theme.
- Draw the outline of the ice cube as shown.
2) Now fill light blue color in the shape of the outline.
3) Using the Frost Brush with white color selected paint the frost on the front corners of the cube.
4) Duplicate the previously painted frost layer and transform it to fit the prospective of the cube using the Move Tool (V).
5) Similarly add more frost on both the sides using the frost brushes.
6) Since this is a magical ice cube we need to add a glow effect to it. Merge all the layers of the cube and the frost together and name it as “ice cube” . With the layer selected go to Filter>Distort>Diffuse Glow and add a Glow Amount=6 and Clear Amount=18.
Usually when we remove the ice from the freezer we find frost smoke emitting from them. Hence we are going to add the same effect here.
- Using the Smoke Brush paint white smoke around the ice cube.
2) Now using the smoke brush create smoke coming from the womenâ€™s hand to illustrate that the cube is formed by the aura power of the women.
In this step we are going to create a fire ball on the other side of the women. Here fire represents hell.
- Import the image of the Fire on to the canvas and erase it in circular shape using the Eraser Tool (E).
-You can even use a Circular Mask (M) with feather 24px and erase the image in circular shape.
2) Now import another image of fire on to the canvas and set the blending mode of the layer to Screen and place it as shown.
3) Similarly complete the fire ball as shown using multiple fire images.
4) In this step we will be creating a glow to the fire ball. Using the Soft Round Brush paint the color #f4b906 as shown above the fire ball and set the Blending Mode of the layer to Screen and lower the Opacity of the layer to 20%.
In this step we are going to create the lanterns floating in the air which represents the light of hope in this theme.
- Mask out the image of the Lanterns into a new layer using the Lasso Tool (L).
2) Now import the Lantern on to the working canvas and place it near the women as shown.
3) We need to de-saturate the colors of the lantern to blend with the environment. With the Lantern layer selected go to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation and reduce the Saturation=-64, and Lightness=-5.
In this step we are going to create the light in the Lantern. While painting the light we will be going from dark to lighter colors.
- Select a mask in the shape of the glass of the lantern and fill the color #da8c05.
2) Now paint with the lighter shade of yellow i.e. #e2c003.
3) The main source of light always appears brighter hence paint with white color in the center as shown to represent the light source in the lantern.
4) Now set the Blending Mode of the Light layer to Overlay to retain the texture of the lantern which make it look natural.
5) To create the light glows to the lantern paint the color #d5bb78 as shown. Then set the Blending Mode of the Glow Layer to Screen and reduce the Opacity to 23%.
Similarly following the step18 create few more Lanterns in the scene.
In this step we will be creating the reflection of the Lantern in the water. Since the mirror image has opposite prospective we need to follow different procedure rather than flipping the whole Lantern Vertically.
- Cut the front face of the Lantern into a new layer and flip it vertically and place it as shown.
2) Now cut the side face of the Lantern and flip it vertically and transform it to fit the prospective as shown using the Move Tool (V).
3) Since the lantern is floating by some height from the surface of water itâ€™s base will be visible in the reflection. Hence paint a black base as shown.
4) Now by using the Liquify Filter create the water disturbance to the Lantern Reflection Layer.
5) Move the Lantern Reflection layer downwards to show the distance between Floating Lantern and the water surface. Then reduce the Opacity of the layer to 76%.
6) Similarly create reflection to the other lanterns in the BG.
In this step we will be creating the fire light shade on the right hand of the women, to create a natural depth.
- Paint the yellow color on the right hand of the women as shown.
2) Now set the Blending Mode of the layer to Soft Light.
In this step we are going to create the reflection of the house in the water. Here we are not going to use the Liquify Tools, because in the original landscape image the reflection in water near the shore was not heavily disturbed.
- Duplicate the image of the house and flip it vertically and move it downwards and place it as shown. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
2) With the house layer selected add a Motion Blur with Distance 55px and angle 90 to get the natural as in the original landscape image.
3) Then set the Opacity of the House Reflection layer to 59%.
In this step we are going to cut the dead tree without losing any of its fine details into a new layer, which we will be using in the next step.
- Import the image of the Dead Tree and select the Blue Channel from the Channels pallet. The go to Image>Calculations and select Blue in both Source 1and 2. This creates an Alpha 1 layer in the Channels Pallet.
2) With the Alpha 1 layer selected set the levels in such a way that the dead tree becomes a complete silhouette.
3) Now with the dead tree layer selected in the Layers pallet go to Select>Load Selection and select Alpha 1 from the Channel drop down list and press OK to form a mask around the tree.
4) With the mask selected around the tree erase the background sky.
In this step we are going to add few dead branches in the scene to create a dramatic feel in it.
- Using the Lasso Tool (L) mask out a part of the dead tree into a new layer. Then import it on to the working layer and place it on the left side bottom corner as shown.
2) Then add a Gaussian Blur of Radius=1.8px to maintain the Depth Of Field (DOF) in the scene.
3) Reduce the Brightness of the Dead Branches to blend with the environment in the scene. With the Dead Branches layer selected go to Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast and reduce the Brightness to -64.
4) Similarly add few more branches in the scene as shown.
To make the scene look more dramatic we need to add a grunge texture to the scene.
-Import the image of the Grunge Texture on to the working canvas and set the Blending Mode of the layer to Overlay and reduce the Opacity to 41%.
In this step we will be creating title plate for the scene.
- Import the canvas texture and cut it in circular shape using the Round Mask (M) and make one half of the texture Black and White as shown.
2) Now by using the ‘Times New Roman’ font type in the title Heaven and Hell as shown.
3) Using the soft round brush paint the shadow on the texture as shown.
In this step we will be creating a frame around the round texture.
- Cut the bottom right corner of the Frame as shown using the Lasso Tool.
2) Then import the frame design on to the canvas and place it on the texture as shown.
3) Similarly place the design on all 4 corners.
4) Now cut the top middle design as shown.
5) Import the second frame design and place it in between the previously placed designs as shown.
6) Similarly complete the whole frame.
1) Now merge all the frame layers and go to Image>Adjustments>Exposure and reduce the Exposure=-0.46 and Gamma Correction=1.00.
2) Then add dark shadow on the left side of the frame as shown to create a natural depth to it.
In this step we are going to add shadow to the inner part of the frame and also to the outer part.
- Duplicate the image of the frame and make it completely dark using the Levels.
2) Then place the shadow layer under the frame layer and move it slightly towards left.
3) Then add a Gaussian Blur of Radius=1.8px to the shadow layer.
4) Similarly create a shadow under the frame as shown to show that the whole title frame is resting on the scene we created, like a badge on a portrait.